I was recently made aware of a scam which occurred to a tenant in Craigie just before Christmas. It is the first time I have come across this scam so please share this information in order to stamp it out as quickly as possible.
The scam occurred as follows:-
- The tenant received a phone call from a man claiming to be a real estate agent. He told them the owner wanted an appraisal.
- The tenant assumed this was a genuine request & made an appointment for him to view the property.
- The man claiming to be a real estate agent kept the appointment and looked around the house for 20 - 30 mins taking notes. (No business card,phone number or certifying documentation was ever given to the tenant)
- Within 48 hours the home was burgled. Selected items were stolen and all the Christmas presents opened.
- Subsequent enquires to the owner of he property and property manager revealed that no market appraisal had ever been requested.
The moral of this story is please do not be too trusting. Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous individuals out there!! If you happen to receive a phone call from a real estate agent asking to do an appraisal please follow a couple of steps:
- Ask for their name/company and phone number (We are easy to Google and all have websites)
- Confirm with the owner or property manager that an appraisal has been requested and which agent has been called
- Real estate sales people will always give you a business card when they visit your home and do not spend time looking in your closets & cupboards
What do you think of this scam, reply below and let us know.....